2017-18 SCHOOL YEAR DATES
September 6, 2017 Through June 21, 2018
Half Day Classes: 8:40 – 11:10 a.m., 12:00 – 2:30 p.m., $10 per day per student
Full Day Classes: 9:00 a.m. – 2:30 p.m., $20 per day per student
Before- and After-School Options from 8:00 a.m.- 5 p.m., $5 per hour of care
***Empower staff receive a 10% discount if they send their kids to Empower Children’s Academy.
Before- and after-school care is an affordable and enriching choice for working families. Special education teachers engage students in games, reading and outdoor fun that compliment classroom learning.
CHILDREN’S ACADEMY IS A GREAT CHOICE FOR TYPICALLY-DEVELOPING STUDENTS
Parents of typically-developing children are encouraged to consider Empower Children’s Academy for their child’s preschool education. Empower Children’s Academy offers:
- Small class sizes
- Rich student-to-teacher ratios (6 students with a disability and 6 students without a disability per instructor)
- Lead teacher is always a special education teacher with a master’s degree in early childhood education and who is assisted by two to three teacher aides per class
- School-like atmosphere: with 2 hallways, 9 classrooms and 7 treatment rooms, students get used to a bigger, more organized education setting, which makes the transition to kindergarten that much easier
- Access to specialized therapists and equipment: speech, occupational and physical therapists and equipment are on-site and available for typically-developing students to use. Of special interest is the sensory room and the cool bubble columns that help relax and rejuvenate students.
- Experience of learning alongside preschoolers with a disability fosters acceptance of differences and greater maturity, which also helps smooth the transition to kindergarten.
KIDS’ MUSIC ROUND CLASSES OFFERED
Beginning Tuesday, September 19, Empower will begin offering 10-week music classes to parents and children ages birth through six at 8962 Porter Rd. in the Town of Niagara. A music instructor will lead participants through movement and music activities including: playing rhythmic instruments, having fun with finger plays and singing and dancing to music of different meters and tonalities. This is a fun opportunity for parents to bond with their child and foster their child’s social, physical and language development.
Classes are offered once a week for 10 weeks with several different time options. For children birth through age 6, class meeting options are: Tuesdays, beginning 9/19, 6-7 pm or Saturdays, beginning 9/23 at either 9-9:45 am or 10:15-11 am. A class for children ages five and six will be offered on Tuesdays, beginning 9/19, 7-8 pm.
To get more information, please contact Karen Smith at email@example.com or (716) 297-0798, x 163 or x189.
SPECTRUM THEATER PROGRAM WRAPS SUMMER SESSION
Fourteen students with autism attended the Spectrum Theater Program’s summer session, which concluded with a performance entitled The Sneetches.
On Tuesday and Thursday evenings, Ms. Bri assisted by Ms. Robin, Ms. Brandie and Mr. Joe led students through warm-ups and individual and group exercises focusing on gestures, eye contact, voice projection, leadership, listening each other’s perspectives and improvisation.
The idea to base the final performance on Dr. Seuss’ The Sneetches came out of the students love of a tongue-twister exercise. Also, the story’s themes (we are more alike than different and that character vs. outside appearance is what is important) reflected the growth that occurred in students’ confidence and social skill development during the five week session.
Here are some highlights of the Sneetches production:
The next Spectrum session begins Tuesday, September 19. Contact Krystal at firstname.lastname@example.org or 297-0798, x120 to enroll.